Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happiest Moment of 2009

I actually know my happiest moment of 2009. Do you?

Of course I'm thinking of those moments without Donna.

My moment took place on April 26th about 8:30pm on a Sunday night. I'm just going to recite the thank you note I sent my sister's friends who have season tickets to Red Sox games. The Red Sox were playing the NY Yankees in Boston and there is no way to overstate the difficulty in getting tickets to those match-up games, murder for contract would not be out of the question. In fact seeing a Red Sox/Yank game has been on my "bucket list" for quite a while. Son Adam and I flew up from RDU, saw the game, flew back the next morning. It was wonderful.


"Dear Sheryl and Robin, May 5th

George Burns said happiness is having a loving, caring, close knit family in another city. Albert Schweitzer said happiness is good health and a bad memory. Although both good, they are wrong.

True happiness resided last sunday night due East of suicide bridge between Landsdowne and Hemengway streets within the confines of the 5th inning between 3rd base and home plate. Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury performed the most unusual and magical play in baseball. He stole home!

The place expoded in excitement. Every seat was filled - all 36,884 of them and everyone rose as one in exhiltation. I did something I hadn't done in years...hugged the guy next to me who I didn't even know. I usually don't hug people I know! It was like Fenway Park was full of Catholics after the priest announced suspension of collection plates during all masses for the upcoming year! The rarest play in baseball and thanks to you both, Adam and I saw it! Thank You!

Jim"


Realize some of you are not big sports fans so I resolve not to mention baseball for the rest of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Jim,
    Please don't stop writing about baseball! You make it come alive for us non-sports fans. I could never get interested in sports unless I knew someone who was playing and could just cheer them on.

    You put in a new wrinkle--you make the plays themselves exciting (like stealing home--it boggles the mind! Half the players are clustered there--How do you steal home?)and you recreate the aura I have experienced a couple of times at The Durham Athletic Park, but in high gear! So please keep on, whenever the spirit moves you. For one, I appreciate it.

    A comment, if you will allow me, sort of on the subject of the last two entries and what your "resolve" not to mention baseball sparked in me. Because the New Year inspires us all to make resolutions, and because I never manage to keep mine, I was much consoled by the thoughts of Gerald May in the book I'm Reading: "The Awakened Heart." I pass them on only because they mean a lot to me and I'd like to share them in case they're true for someone else.

    "Resolutions and grasping are not good ways to go about receiving a gift. There is a vast, spacious difference between consecrated hope and willful expectation." (May is quite clear about control issues and divides our responses or intentions into willfulness and willingness--I see in myself too often a dedication to willfulness!)

    He goes on to say:
    "God does not wait to come into our lives until we have solved our problems. God is always involved. Love is already here."

    I like that as a New Year's thought--God is already here--For 2010 I hope to relax into that rememberance.

    May 2010 be a good year for you, Donna and your family. Hope to have you back in Centering Prayer soon!
    Shalom
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Jim,
    Your postings almost make me wish I was a baseball fan. I hope you don't keep the resolution not to write about baseball in 2010. Your humor and wit even through pain and discomfort is an inspiration.
    My resolution.....take time to listen to the silence and feel the gentle peace. It is also my wish for you and your family.
    Namaste,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete